A young American woman living in Paris grapples with the psychological ramifications of her childhood abuse.
Rosmemarie: Rachel Rain Packota
Narrator: Olivia Jon
Rebekah: Jennifer Vallance
Rupert: Allan Cooke
Get to know the writer:
1. What is your screenplay about?
A young woman in Paris is healing from repercussions of child sexual abuse. She meets the love of her life, and together with her friends, her counselor, and the woman’s determination, she is able to begin to heal on a deeper level.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
Drama, Psychological Thriller, Fantasy, Magic Realism, Romance
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
It is such a triumphant story, overcoming the psychological effects of ritual abuse growing up. It is based on a true story, and needs a wider audience to show how love and courage overcome in the end. It is also based on a novel of the same name, full of magic realism, poetry, and even more filmable elements. I selected from the novel, but this screenplay is more raw, gritty, and inspirational than the novel. The novel is a first writing, and edited down for readability, much free verse remains. The screenplay takes you through key moments that impacted the real character, me, and the magic realism is a way of retelling the story in a fantastical way.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
The Life Aquatic, with Steve Zissou.
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
One year and a half, to completion, August 2017.
7. How many stories have you written?
A dozen or so. I am working on one screenplay now: Aunt Nell’s Time Machine, based on the same character in college in the eighties, the Cold War. She is very troubled and doesn’t know why, but is trying to save the world by going back in time. She gets turned around, when her friend saves her from jumping out a window, and getting counseling. Determined to find the balance between saving the world and herself in the end.
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
Clear Blue Sky, Chris Whitley, Terra Incognito
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
How to make the action real, with better technique. Still learning the medium.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Painting, Photography, Poetry, Community Artist/Advocacy, Gardening, Baking
11. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site?
Excellent. No problems at all.
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
I was hoping to find a kindred audience with the Female Film Festival. Now, after the beginning of the Me, too movement. It feels even more relevant than before, culturally.
The feedback that I received was spot on. I crafted the screenplay based on feedback from this and other festivals for about a year.
Producer: Matthew Toffolo http://www.matthewtoffolo.com
Director: Matthew Toffolo
Casting Director: Sean Ballantyne
Editor: Kimberly Villarruel
Camera Op: Mary Cox